Code42 to Host Inaugural Insider Risk Summit in September 2020
Cybersecurity veterans Michael C. Theis and Chris Kubecka among featured speakers at virtual event exploring new strategies for detecting and mitigating insider threats to data
Minneapolis — Aug 31, 2020
Code42, the leader in insider risk detection and response, today announced that it will host the inaugural Insider Risk Summit 2020 in partnership with Crowdstrike, Cybrary, Duo Security at Cisco, Exabeam, Okta, Optiv, Palo Alto Networks, Rapid7, Splunk, Sumo Logic and The CyberWire. The virtual event will explore new strategies for detecting and mitigating insider threats to data and feature an impressive line-up of speakers, including cybersecurity veterans like Michael C. Theis and Chris Kubecka. The Insider Risk Summit, being held September 17, 2020, is open now for registration.
"We're living in a new world shaped by digital transformation. Businesses have widely adopted cloud-based collaboration technologies to speed productivity and innovation. While these technologies are good for business, they also have introduced new security risks to data," said Code42 President and CEO Joe Payne. "As a security community, we are at an inflection point. We need to rethink how data is protected and set new standards for insider risk programs – and that is what we'll accomplish at the Insider Risk Summit."
Today, industry research notes that just over 50% of organizational data breaches are the direct result of insiders, yet only 10% of security budgets are allocated to internal threats. At the same time, cloud-based collaboration, decentralized work and job turnover are on the rise, causing today's security teams to be increasingly challenged to detect and respond to insider threats. The Insider Risk Summit will connect the information security community to identify strategies and solutions for mitigating insider risks to data.
Insider Risk Summit Speakers
The speaker roster at the Insider Risk Summit includes insider threat experts from top security and technology companies as well as consulting and research organizations. The speakers will outline key takeaways from newsworthy insider breaches, share actionable advice on how to build better insider threat programs and frameworks, and discuss the complex impact of imperfect humans on cybersecurity.
In addition to Code42's Joe Payne, speakers include:
- Michael C. Theis, who will deliver the opening keynote speech, "Insider Threat or Insider Risk — What Are You Trying to Solve?" Mr. Theis is a U.S. Intelligence community veteran, CISSP, special agent in charge (retired) and chief engineer for the Strategic Engagements National Insider Threat Center in the CERT © Division, and serves as a senior member of the technical staff at the Software Engineering Institute of Carnegie Mellon University.
- U.S. Air Force and Space Command veteran, cybersecurity expert and Cybrary Advisory Board Member, and CEO and founder of HypaSec NL, Chris Kubecka. She will share the real-life consequences of insider threat cases that involved pirates off the African continent and a nuclear facility.
- Deloitte Consulting's Managing Director of their federal practice, Michael Gelles. His talk will be centered on managing insider threats during COVID-19.
- Elsine Van Os, CEO of Signpost Six, who will explore "The Psychology Behind an Insider."
Retired U.S. Navy Chief Dr. Chase Cunningham, who will lead a deep dive on the zero trust model.
- Top industry CISOs Dawn Cappelli from Rockwell Automation and Jadee Hanson from Code42, who will discuss the road ahead for CISOs.
- Security practitioners, leaders and experts from Code42, Crowdstrike, the Department of Homeland Security, Duo Security at Cisco, Elevate Security, Exabeam, Okta, Optiv, Rapid7, Splunk, Sumo Logic and The Pokémon Company.
Insider Risk Summit attendees will have opportunities for networking, taking in product demos, hosting 1:1 meetings or attending educational sessions and discussions. To register and learn more about the Insider Risk Summit, visit insiderrisksummit.com.
Earn CPE Credits
The Insider Risk Summit is expected to continue as an annual event every September during Insider Threat Awareness month. Security practitioners attending the summit are eligible to earn CPE credits.
Network while Cooking with Andrew Zimmern
Closing out the 2020 event will be a networking event with Andrew Zimmern, a four-time James Beard award-winning chef, TV personality, writer, teacher and social justice advocate. Mr. Zimmern will host a complimentary, interactive celebrity chef cooking class.