The New Code42 Next-Gen Data Loss Protection Solution Delivers Policy-Free Insider Threat Detection
Code42 rewrites paradigm for legacy data loss prevention
Minneapolis — Oct 24, 2018
Code42, the leader in data loss protection, visibility and recovery solutions, introduced the Code42® Next-Gen Data Loss Protection (Code42 Next-Gen DLP) solution. Designed to help resource- and budget-constrained security and IT teams, the solution detects insider threat, helps satisfy regulatory compliance requirements and dramatically speeds incident response. With the introduction, the company is rewriting the paradigm for legacy data loss prevention (DLP) — shifting the focus from prevention to protection. Unlike traditional DLP, Code42 Next-Gen DLP is a cloud-native solution that frees security teams to safeguard data without complex policy management, lengthy deployments or hindrances to user productivity and collaboration.
"Customers consistently tell us that their legacy DLP is painful to use — it is expensive, policy-laden, and difficult to deploy and manage," said Joe Payne, Code42's president and CEO. "Code42 is offering a simpler, quicker way for organizations to protect endpoint and cloud data from loss, leak and theft while maintaining an open and collaborative culture for employees."
According to the 2018 Insider Threat Report by Cybersecurity Insiders, 90 percent of cybersecurity professionals feel vulnerable to insider threat. Recent research from McKinsey reinforces the pervasive nature of insider threat. McKinsey's Insider threat: The human element of cyberrisk reports that 50 percent of breaches between 2012-2017 involved insiders. The increasing risks associated with insider threat are compounded by the fact that more companies are reporting a lack of skilled in-house staff to deal with security issues.
Payne added, "Organizations need to rethink legacy DLP — and adopt a next-generation alternative that doesn't require policies, doesn't block users from being productive and can track cloud data."
Deploying in days instead of months, Code42 Next-Gen DLP delivers the following capabilities through a single, centralized view:
- Collection: Automatically collects and stores every version of every file across all endpoints, and indexes all file activity across endpoints and cloud.
- Monitoring: Helps identify file exfiltration, providing visibility into files being moved by users to external hard drives or shared via cloud services, including Microsoft OneDrive and Google Drive.
- Investigation: Helps quickly triage and prioritize data threats by searching file activity across all endpoints and cloud services in seconds, even when endpoints are offline; and rapidly retrieves actual files — one file, multiple files or all files on a device — to determine the sensitivity of data at risk.
- Preservation: Allows configuration to retain files for any number of employees, for as long as the files are needed to satisfy data retention requirements related to compliance or litigation.
- Recovery: Enables rapid retrieval of one file, multiple files or all files on a device even when the device is offline, or in the event files are deleted, corrupted or ransomed.
Code42 Next-Gen DLP is built from a combination of products that are part of the company’s award-winning data security portfolio, including Code42 Forensic File Search, File Exfiltration Detection, Legal Hold and Backup + Restore. Code42’s insider monitoring capabilities helped one customer save $9 million dollars in one lawsuit and helped another customer detect 90 gigabytes of sales data leaving its network via an external drive.
Recognized for its leadership in data security, Code42 has won numerous industry awards. Some of its most recent honors include the 2018 Fortress Cyber Security Awards for Threat Detection; the 2018 SC Awards Europe for Best Data Leakage Prevention Solution; and the Cyber Defense Magazine 2018 InfoSec Award for Insider Threat Detection.
For more information on Code42 Next-Gen DLP, visit the company's website or blog.