Ransomware Recovery Guide
When ransomware strikes, always bounce back, and move forward even faster.
Your users are click happy
It is easy to make your users click a malicious link. When they do, your business comes to a screeching halt. Criminals understand that no matter how many phishing drills you run, no matter how interesting your cybersecurity education courses are, they only need to fool one user to compromise an organization.
All the research points to an increasingly difficult prevention challenge:
- Phishing is more effective than ever. Think users are wise to the phish by now? Verizon found users are actually becoming more likely to click the link. Ransomware is the “phish du jour” with 93 percent of phishing emails now containing ransomware.
- Ransomware-as-a-Service (RaaS) makes ransomware for dummies easy. Following the trend of the legitimate software industry, RaaS is growing on the black market. RaaS takes ransomware accessibility to a new level. People with little technical expertise can rent ransomware and create their own phishing emails.
You cannot prevent ransomware but it costs your business days of work
You can’t prevent ransomware, because you can’t eliminate human curiosity. When ransomware hits, it’s the payment itself that makes headlines. However, the true cost of ransomware is business productivity. Dive into the real costs based on research analyzing U.S. ransomware attacks.
The hidden costs behind a $14,000 ransomware payment include:
- $26,800 in direct lost productivity for every 20 users affected
- $1 million in lost revenue opportunity is common: Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital lost $1M from lost CT scans
- $5,100 in added IT costs for remediation efforts (at an average of $100/hr)
- $590,000 in notification costs for average U.S. breaches
- $14,000 in ransomware payments
Total cost: $1,635,900
Your best line of defense is a fast response
Preparing for real-time recovery pays.
Building a business continuity solution founded on backing up and protecting all data is foundational to recovery. Guaranteeing your users continuous access to all their data mitigates any lost productivity, lost revenue, IT remediation time, and other costs of data loss.
Forrester's 5 Best Practices
Read the latest from Forrester Research on ransomware protection.
Real-time recovery lets you:
- Save time. Get users back up and running in hours; not days.
- Save money. Mitigate risks to revenue by always keeping the business moving forward.
- Save resources. Streamline help desk ticket, compliance, and reporting workflows.
How does it work? 6 easy steps and done!
- Identify the time of infection.
- Select the root folder
- Choose the point in time to restore.
- Initiate the restore.
- Let users get back to work.
- Adopt the original archive.
See the support guide for detailed step-by-step instructions.
Ransomware recovery that is scalable, reliable, simple, and fast
- Scalable. Unlike the competition, Code42 can handle 100,000s of users without a hitch.
- Reliable. Code42 automatically protects every version of every file every 15 minutes by default—more frequently than any other solution.
- Simple. Code42 is so easy that users can restore all their files by themselves and keep working while it happens.
- Fast. Code42 file restores are up to 9x faster than competitive solutions.
What others say
“A user was hit by a cryptolocker-type virus… we grabbed another laptop and restored the user’s files with Code42 to the point prior to the infection and the user was up and running in under an hour with all of their files.”
– IT Administrator, Medium Enterprise Industrial Manufacturing Company
Need for speed
“Our HR team was hit with ransomware but thanks to Code42, we were up and running in less than an hour!”
– IT Manager, Large Enterprise Hospitality Company
Recovery in minutes
“One of our managers had his personal computer compromised, which also allowed the ransomware to affect several file shares (including his individual ‘home’ share as well as several document archives). We were able to successfully recover all compromised files from the previous day’s backups, with minimal loss of time and productivity.”
– Senior IT Manager, Medium Enterprise Security Products & Services Company
Savings in one week
“We rolled out Code42 throughout our organization and within a week an end user was hit with malware. We were able to restore his data to a new device.”
– IT Administrator, Medium Enterprise Construction Company
Have more questions?
We are here to help.