It’s time to face the facts, Macs are everywhere in the enterprise. In fact, a 2018 survey from Jamf pointed to the fact that more than half of enterprise organizations (52%) offer their employees a choice in their device of preference. Not entirely surprising, 72% of employees choose Mac. The Apple wave within business environments has begun and only promises to grow over time.
The problem is that legacy Data Loss Prevention (DLP) solutions don’t account for the Mac phenomenon and were not designed with them in mind. As a result, legacy DLPs often approach Macs as an afterthought rather than a core strategy. Customer opinions of their DLP for Macs continue to be unfavorable. In fact, last year at Jamf’s JNUC event in Minneapolis, Mac users quickly revealed their sheer frustration with DLP and how it wasn’t built for Macs. Code42 customers currently using legacy DLP vendors vented about their Mac DLP experience saying, “It just sucks!”
Naturally, we asked why.
- No Support – Mac updates can be fast and furious. Unfortunately, DLP has traditionally struggled to keep up with those updates. The result? Errors, Kernel panics and increased risk for data loss.
- No OS Consistency – We often forget that today’s businesses often use both Mac and Windows. DLP has traditionally maintained a very Windows-centric approach that has made the Mac experience secondary and inconsistent with Windows. Having two sets of users with varying levels of data risk is never good.
- It’s Slow – The number one issue often stems from performance-sucking agents that bring the productivity of Mac users to a screeching halt.
- Kernel Panics – This is worth reiterating. Macs are sensitive to anything that poses a threat, so whenever perceived unsanctioned DLP software threatens Mac, it means reboots and an increased risk of downtime.
- It’s Complicated – Traditional DLP still relies on legacy hardware and manual updates, which is time consuming and expensive.
Recently, Code42 unveiled its Next-Gen Data Loss Protection Solution at the RSA Conference 2019. One of the reasons our 50,000+ customers love us is precisely because of the superior Mac experience we deliver. Our next-gen DLP solution was built with the Mac user in mind. Learn more about our trusted and proven take on DLP for Mac.