Technical Writer – Enterprise Products Documentation | Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Code42 develops intuitive, optimized technology to securely manage and protect the world’s data. Our industry-leading, award-winning CrashPlan backup solutions manage exabytes of data across millions of devices and for some of the largest organizations in the world.
Code42 is looking for an experienced, self-motivated, professional team player to join us in changing people’s minds about documentation. We demand documentation that our customers are eager to use, going beyond clear, concise and complete, facilitating frictionless flow throughout the entire experience.
Who Are You?
You’ve been in the trenches as an IT network or systems administrator and have a knack for figuring out how to use enterprise software. Able to learn challenging technical concepts independently, you can converse on par with developers and engineers: you speak IT administrator. You also wield words with precision, and can distill technical content for sales and marketing audiences. While you prize efficiency, you are compelled to do things right, even if the right thing is hard or time consuming.
You’ll Be Responsible For
- Delivering technical documentation that is accurate, comprehensive, clear, searchable, and that customers trust.
- Continuously improving content in response to feedback from customers and colleagues.
- Updating documentation to keep current with frequent software changes.
- Creating effective technical communications in a variety of media.
- Actively participating in cross-functional Agile feature teams, representing the documentation function.
How Do We Get There?
- Routinely apply obsessive attention to detail and organization in all aspects of your work: from warehousing information to organizing ideas in articles to adhering to style and organizational standards.
- Effectively use design and aesthetics as a force multiplier to help the audience understand the content.
- Build relationships with subject matter experts in all departments such as Systems Engineering, Support, Professional Services and Development.
- Embrace new cloud-based and crowd-sourcing technologies for communication and information consumption (web help authoring tools are so 2003).
- Hold the customer goals, needs, and perspective paramount in all communications.
Skills and Requirements
- Qualified candidates have at least 5 years of experience writing technical documentation for IT administrators.
- 3 years of professional IT, IT support, or technical support experience, preferably in cloud or backup solution technologies.
- Fluent in the management of Windows, Mac and Linux/UNIX-based operating systems.
- Solid understanding of networking and computer hardware.
- Fluent in HTML.
- Experience with virtualization platforms such as VMware, Virtual Box, or others.
- Experience with a software IDE such as Eclipse.
- Strong technical knowledge of enterprise software applications.
- Strong aptitude for learning new technologies and understanding how to utilize them in a dynamic customer environment.
- Experience working with software documentation style guides and creating or contributing to team style guides.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal direction.
- A quick learner and technology enthusiast.
- Consistently demonstrating a professional, positive, and approachable attitude/demeanor and sensitivity in handling confidential information.
We’ll Be Especially Impressed If You Have
- Experience with directory services (OpenLDAP, Active Directory or OpenDirectory).
- Experience with Shibboleth or other SAML 2.0-based Single Sign-On technologies.
- Experience with desktop management software such as Casper Suite, Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager, Dell KACE, Apple Remote Desktop, others.
- Strong understanding of Agile principles and methodologies.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, preferably Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Experience producing technical video tutorials.
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent, preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems or Engineering.
- Familiarity with SEO best practices.
- Proven leadership.
Resumes and cover letters are great, but we’re much bigger fans of real world examples and work that you can or may have already done. You will immediately get our attention if you add any of the following to your resume/cover letter when you contact us.
- Send us a link to your personal website, your technical blog, or a website you’ve built.
- If you contribute to open source; include your github/bitbucket profile and/or Google Code projects.
- Bonus points for telling us what excites you about wanting to work at Code 42.
All employees are responsible for Code 42 Software's information security by appropriately preserving the Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability (CIA) of Code 42 Software information assets in accordance with the company's information security program.
Code 42 Software is an Equal Opportunity Employer.